grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] assignGrouperPrivileges and replaceAllExisting

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] assignGrouperPrivileges and replaceAllExisting

  • From: Julio Polo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] assignGrouperPrivileges and replaceAllExisting
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 09:39:43 -1000

Thanks Chris. It works as you explain. I couldn't see it because I
was expecting the list of privileges to be exhaustive for all
subjects. For example, if I provide privileges (read, update) to
subjects (jsmith, rjohnson) and set replaceAllExisting=true, I would
have expected jsmith and rjohnson to have only 'read' and 'update'
while all other privileges (admin,update,optin,optout) would be
removed (or ignored if not assigned) for them. All other subjects
would not be touched. In other words, I was being subject-centric
while this operation is privilege-centric.

There are several phrases in the description of replaceAllExisting
that could use some disambiguation:

"T to replace existing members,"

When I couldn't figure it out, I thought this meant that the list
membership would be changed. That would be odd in this context, but I
was grasping at straws. How about something like:

"If replaceAllExisting is T, then allowed must be set to T. This will
assign the provided privilege(s) to the provided subject(s), and
remove it from all other subjects in the group.

If F or blank, assign or remove (depending on value provided in
'allowed') the provided privilege(s) from the provided subject(s)"

And I had to do a double-take on what an "allowed T" was in "Only for
allowed T". Then I figured out that it was referring to the parameter
named 'allowed'. My rewrite above already addresses this.

Thanks again.

Julio Polo
Identity and Access Management
University of Hawaii

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 5:55 AM, Chris Hyzer