grouper-users - [grouper-users] RE: Foreign characters not displaying correctly in user interfaces

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] RE: Foreign characters not displaying correctly in user interfaces

  • From: Richard James <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>, "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] RE: Foreign characters not displaying correctly in user interfaces
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:52:44 +0100
  • Accept-language: en-US, en-GB
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB

Hi Chris,

We are running this on a Unix machine. Yep that is the main problem we have
had, trying to identify at what stage the characters aren't being interpreted
correctly.

Currently our character variables show up as follows;

mysql> SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'char%';
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| character_set_client | latin1 |
| character_set_connection | latin1 |
| character_set_database | latin1 |
| character_set_filesystem | binary |
| character_set_results | latin1 |
| character_set_server | latin1 |
| character_set_system | utf8 |
| character_sets_dir | /usr/share/mysql/charsets/ |
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
8 rows in set (0.00 sec)

It may be the case that these need to be utf8, although when querying the
database via the command line or PhpMyAdmin the accented characters are
displayed correctly. I will try to change these on our test box to see if it
makes any difference. (The local variables shown on PhpMyAdmin are set to
UTF-8).

It's the subject where we are coming across the problem, we load subject
details into a subject table in the grouper database, when loading this data
we have tried loading it using ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 but this doesn't seem to
change anything. The table has been setup so that it is using the
utf8_unicode_ci collation. I was wondering if it might be when the JDBC
connector for the subject sources connects to the database that it isn't
using the correct char encoding? Just a guess not sure about the internals.

This might well be a separate issue from Grouper, I will keep on having a
look into it and feedback any possible solutions I come across.

Cheers,

Richard

Regards

Richard James