Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Text archives Help


[grouper-users] RE: Foreign characters not displaying correctly in user interfaces


Chronological Thread 
  • From: Chris Hyzer < >
  • To: Richard James < >, " " < >
  • Subject: [grouper-users] RE: Foreign characters not displaying correctly in user interfaces
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:33:21 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Are you running the server on unix or windows? Ive seen difficulties in
windows if it is setup a certain way to support these chars. Unfortunately
there are a lot of factors here: database OS, app server OS, database
charset, app server OS, browser, etc

Does this show utf-8 on all lines that it should? (mine doesn't, does yours?)

mysql> SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'char%';
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| character_set_client | utf8 |
| character_set_connection | utf8 |
| character_set_database | latin1 |
| character_set_filesystem | binary |
| character_set_results | utf8 |
| character_set_server | latin1 |
| character_set_system | utf8 |
| character_sets_dir | /usr/share/mysql/charsets/ |
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
8 rows in set (0.00 sec)


SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'char%';



The grouperdemo server is on unix, and I didn't do anything special do it,
and it seems fine. I created a group with a special char, and attached are
the screenshots for the UI and UI-lite with a windows browser (unix server/db
mysql)...

Thanks,
Chris




-----Original Message-----
From:


[mailto:
On Behalf Of Richard James
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 12:04 PM
To:

Subject: [grouper-users] Foreign characters not displaying correctly in user
interfaces

Hi,

We've recently come across a problem with foreign characters (most notably
accented characters) not displaying correctly in the main Grouper UI and the
Lite UI. It replaces these characters with a question mark as shown in the
attached screenshot. I saw a post in the mailing list from February last year
(https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2010-02/msg00012.html)
which discussed possible solutions to rectify the problem, unfortunately we
have not been able to come up with a solution. I have tried amending the
following files to use UTF-8, unfortunately although the changes are
reflected in the source code and in the browser meta data, the character is
still displayed incorrectly.

edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.ui.util.HttpContentType
grouper.html
head.jsp
template.jsp

The characters are displayed correctly in the database (mysql), the collation
for the column is set to utf8_unicode_ci. I've tried explicitly setting a
LANG environment variable to en_GB.UTF-8 on the server, and also in the
tomcat start-up script in case there was a conflict at the end, but again to
no avail.

A few little tests I tried to test behaviour was to, via the main UI, change
a name of group to include an accented character, i.e. tást. This displays
correctly in the UI, but if you look in the database it is represented by
tást.

I was wondering if anyone else has come across this issue? And if so if can
you suggest how we can overcome this problem.

Unfortunately within the subject search in the lite UI, the accented
character does also cause an xml load error (screenshot attached). This
happens when searching for a user where the name contains an foreign
character.

Thanks

Richie


Richard James
Infrastructure Systems Administrator
ISS Systems Architecture
Newcastle University


Attachment: grouperdemoSpecialChars.jpg
Description: grouperdemoSpecialChars.jpg

Attachment: grouperdemoSpecialChars2.jpg
Description: grouperdemoSpecialChars2.jpg

Attachment: grouperdemoSpecialChars3.jpg
Description: grouperdemoSpecialChars3.jpg




Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.

Top of page