grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] a comment regarding real-time group provisioning

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] a comment regarding real-time group provisioning

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: "Michael R. Gettes" <>
  • Cc: Grouper Users Mailing List <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] a comment regarding real-time group provisioning
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:26:07 -0500

From my point of view, for ldappcng :

Ease of deployability is inversely proportional to the number of
assumptions made about the provisioning environment. For example, if I
assume that all provisioning targets are ldap, then it is more
difficult to use ldappcng to provision an rdbms. So, deployability
increases with genericity.

Opposite to deployability, performance seems proportional to the
number of assumptions made about the provisioning environment. For
example, if I assume that all identifiers of group members can be
calculated using string concatenation instead of via ldap searches,
then I can avoid those ldap searches. So, performance decreases with
genericity.

I think we will want to reach a middle ground, with reasonable
assumptions so that provisioning is both deployable and performant.
"Fox Mode", fast and configurable.

The conversation I had with the fellow from Microsoft was that
state-based (diff then sync an entire object or all of an attribute's
values) systems for provisioning groups in real-time can be slow
because of the complexity of identifier resolution, where "slow" is a
minute, and where slowness increases with the number of resolutions
(members).

Incremental provisioning ("add member M to group G") is likely faster
than state-based since there are fewer bits to provision. But this is
where I am stuck. I do not think I can always assume that "add member
M to group G" results in adding "cn=M,dc=edu" as a value to the member
attribute of "cn=G,dc=edu". Instead, I think ldappcng would need to
resolve (via the Shib AttributeResolver) all attributes of all objects
changed, both before and after the change is made, compute the
difference in the resulting calculated provisioning, and then
provision that difference. This may not be faster than state-based
provisioning.

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Michael R. Gettes