grouper-users - [grouper-users] a comment regarding real-time group provisioning

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] a comment regarding real-time group provisioning

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: Grouper Users Mailing List <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] a comment regarding real-time group provisioning
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:28:40 -0500

I was feeling a little depressed that ldappcng does not provision
groups or memberships in real-time. It should.

We (Memphis) had Microsoft on campus the last two days to talk about
provisioning
Live@edu,
and it turns out they have a "new" plug-in to
ILM/FIM for
Live@edu
to provision groups - and it faces similar
issues. For example, "large" groups (where "large" = 30k members) are
recommended to be broken into smaller chunks, and the hardware
requirements (CPU, RAM) are different if groups are provisioned.

The more assumptions one makes about how groups are provisioned, the
easier it is to do so performantly. A generic real-time group
provisioner seems difficult, but I think we can do it.

TomZ