grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] jvm/tomcat security issue

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] jvm/tomcat security issue

  • From: Andrew Petro <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] jvm/tomcat security issue
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 15:04:31 -0500

> has anyone been able to reproduce this against a Java webapp?

Yes. I'll share on-list that I've personally demonstrated this vulnerability working against Jasig CAS, which in part led to this announcement:

http://www.jasig.org/cas/news/cve-2010-4476

As far as I could tell, only paths that cause the web application to attempt to getLocale() trigger Tomcat parsing enough of the afflicted header to actuate the vulnerability. Some web applications don't exercise this code path and so may not be vulnerable. CAS is vulnerable because it uses a framework that exercises that code path on its behalf in setting up handling the request. However, any reasonable framework will likely exercise the affected code path in its efforts to set up proper localization.

I haven't tried it against any Grouper.

Ping me off-list and I'll be happy to share more details, the automated script that demonstrated the vulnerability...

Andrew