grouper-users - [grouper-users] RE: Representing People Hierarchies in Grouper

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] RE: Representing People Hierarchies in Grouper

  • From: Richard James <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>, grouper users list <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] RE: Representing People Hierarchies in Grouper
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:07:08 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US, en-GB
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB

Thanks for your responses.

We are looking to represent this structure for a few different projects which
are going on, including the restructuring of how delegation of access to our
Shared file store resource is achieved. This involves provisioning grouper
groups into the AD for each department which we have been able to do with the
org structure that we represent in Grouper. As part of this there is a "nice
if possible requirement" to be able to recognise who the manager of each
department is, and who they report to, with inheritance of permissions at
different levels of the people hierarchy. Until our resources allow us to
explore this further we are using grouper to provision the departmental
access groups and having the permission aspect being manually processed at
the AD level.

Apart from the file store use case there are other use cases which are
interested in being able to make use of a people hierarchy. One of our
faculties is looking at ways to manage access in a workload
reporting/management tool they are developing, with a person's position in
the Faculty hierarchy determining which staff reports they will be able to
view, as Steven mentioned this could get quite interesting in working out who
peoples superiors are etc.

It does look like the use of the permission functionality within Grouper will
be a good route for us to explore, it's something that we have looked at
briefly especially after Rob and Shilen's "Delegated Access Control in AD
using Grouper" presentation at the Fall Internet2 members meeting.

Cheers
Richie