grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Representing People Hierarchies in Grouper

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Representing People Hierarchies in Grouper

  • From: Steven Carmody <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Representing People Hierarchies in Grouper
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:37:13 -0500

On 2/18/11 9:58 AM, Richard James wrote:
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can share any experiences/approaches for
representing a hierarchy of people in Grouper. At Newcastle we have
been loading in an organisational hierarchy, so the hierarchical
relationship is people to team and team to department. We now have
use cases which require representing a people management hierarchy
i.e. person to line manager to department head and so on. As ever
with this being a University, you have the exceptions where people
report to 2 line managers which adds a level of complexity.

I've heard people describe using a standard ldap attribute for this purpose -- ie each person object would include an attribute whose value was the DN of that person's supervisor. And so on, up the tree.....

That works fine for strictly hierarchical organizations; however, campuses sometimes split people between two departments, so this process gets ugly very quickly.

I'll leave it to you to figure out what value to assign as a faculty member's supervisor -- presumably the President of the University. ;-)