grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] putting attributes on a 'member'

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] putting attributes on a 'member'

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Scott Koranda <>, "''" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] putting attributes on a 'member'
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:59:30 -0400

> But it also reminded me to ask this naive question: what is
> the distinction between a subject and a member?
>
> Is it only that a member is a subject with a membership in at
> least one group known to Grouper, while a subject can "live"
> outside of Grouper without being a member of any group?

A member is brought into the Grouper tables for some reason, that might be
because it has a membership, or it edited something and is the lastUpdater,
or has an attribute on it or whatever. A subject is an external subject.
Subjects don't have to be members, and a member which is not a subject
anymore is called "unresolvable". To make a subject a member, just call the
Member MemberFinder.findBySubject(GrouperSession s, Subject subj, boolean
createIfNotExist) method, or add subject to group, or whatever else...