grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.6.1 UI membership list sorting

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.6.1 UI membership list sorting

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Rob Hebron <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.6.1 UI membership list sorting
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 09:02:06 -0400

* Consolidation and de-duplication - Grouper would be caching data from
multiple sources, but presenting a consolidated set. Should subjects
from different sources which represent the same person be consolidated
into a single subject? now? ever?

I was thinking of only caching data for people in Grouper. i.e. search for a
subject in a group, or show the members of a group. Not a general subject
search (though for a second phase I guess this isn't out of the question).
This is the grouper_members table. You still have however many sources you
had before, so if you have duplicates across sources, that is not Grouper's
problem

* Timeliness - how up-to-date would the local Grouper subject store need
to be? In our case if would be unacceptable if it were out-of-date by
more than a few seconds

Grouper does not need to display that information, just search/sort on it.
So Grouper could still go to the source when displaying information about the
user (and maybe fall back if the subject is not resolvable).