grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.6.1 UI membership list sorting

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.6.1 UI membership list sorting

  • From: Peter DiCamillo <>
  • To: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • Cc: Chris Hyzer <>,
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.6.1 UI membership list sorting
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 21:25:54 -0400

Option 2 wouldn't work for use because our person source is LDAP. The LDAP server is our primary person registry, and so far at least, it's working very well with Grouper except for this sorting issue. We'd need a much more serious issue to justify maintaining a mirrored registry using Grouper's database or another database.

Unless Gary provides something first, I'll try option 1 as a local workaround, and report back on that. I'd estimate that at least 90% of the time we're looking at membership lists that are short enough so that inefficiencies due to sorting wouldn't be noticeable.

Peter

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
The problem is that the API is now doing the paging - but it has no means to sort the data because, as Chris says, we don't store subject attributes. API paging was added because even without sorting, processing very large memberships would bring the UI to a grinding halt. So, unfortunately the comparator.sort.limit has become redundant.

Going forward I think there are a coupe of options.

1) The UI checks how many results there will be and if under comparator.sort.limit sets this as the pagesize for the API.
2) The API stores a sort String for subjects so it can add an order by clause to its query. Some mechanism would be needed to refresh sort Strings.

I can have a look at option 1, but we have talked about option 2 before so I'll wait and see what the consensus is. Either way it is likely to be 2.0 before we resolve it.

Gary

--On 03 October 2010 01:59 -0400 Chris Hyzer

I can reproduce that. The problem is that subject data is stored
externally to Grouper (in sources), so if there are 50000 subjects in a
group, that is 50000 subject lookups (assuming none in cache), which
doesn't scale. Granted if you had 356 with 250 on a page, that should
sort. :) What use case do you have? Trying to see if someone is in a
group? Just curious, what is the workaround? Anyways, Im sure Gary will
weigh in here as well...

On Behalf Of Peter DiCamillo