grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.6.1 UI membership list sorting

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.6.1 UI membership list sorting

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Rob Hebron <>,
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.6.1 UI membership list sorting
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 09:19:55 +0100

I was only suggesting that Grouper store a sort string and not other attributes. If a list is sorted then we will normally only show a page worth of results and so a relatively fixed number of Subject calls e.g. 50, would be needed. As actual subject attributes are retrieved the (potentially) new sort string could be computed and compared with the existing one resulting in an update. Of course a GrouperLoader job could try and do a more systematic synch of sort strings.

If we were to go the route of caching more attributes that should definitely be optional.

Gary

--On 04 October 2010 08:09 +0100 Rob Hebron

[resent from correct account, apologies if this hits the list twice]

At Cardiff we have 2 major potential subject sources (HR and Student
records) and dozens of smaller ones. Our approach was to consolidate them
all into a single source since we saw some real problems ahead if we did
not, including:

* Duplicate records across data sources. This would mean that one person
could be multiple subjects, making a single view of a person's
memberships impossible. There are is significant subset of people who
fall into this category (people who are both staff and students)
* Timely and accurate de-provisioning where duplicates existed since some
data sources are better administered than others
* How to deal with cases where duplicates exist in a single data source

The consolidation was the first step in an Identity Management project,
which later included a Grouper implementation. I can clearly see that
Grouper would have been far, far harder to implement had we not had the
consolidated subject source. A side-effect of the consolidation was that
other services can also use it.

So, while I can see that storing a string for sorting would be of
immediate benefit, with few risks, I see icebergs ahead if Grouper were
to try to cache all data about all subjects from all sources. These
include:

* Consolidation and de-duplication - Grouper would be caching data from
multiple sources, but presenting a consolidated set. Should subjects from
different sources which represent the same person be consolidated into a
single subject? now? ever?
* Timeliness - how up-to-date would the local Grouper subject store need
to be? In our case if would be unacceptable if it were out-of-date by
more than a few seconds

Rob