Skip to Content.
Sympa Menu

grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] upgrading from 1.4.2 to 1.6.1

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

List archive

Re: [grouper-users] upgrading from 1.4.2 to 1.6.1

Chronological Thread 
  • From: Peter DiCamillo <>
  • To: Tom Zeller <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] upgrading from 1.4.2 to 1.6.1
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 01:14:32 -0400

Tom Zeller wrote:
What confused me is that the -name option allows you to dump and then
restore just a subtree of the registry. That implied to me that I could use
XML export and import to recreate one subtree of a registry, and recreate
other subtrees using different methods, such as manually or using local
provisioning programs.

As you've shown already, the import code seems easy enough to change.

I'm curious about your use case - what is the motivation for
recreating groups using manual or other methods ? Is this a one-time
issue for the 1.3 upgrade ?

This is definitely a one-time issue for the upgrade. I encountered this when I was doing initial testing of XML export and import. We have a small program we run to initialize an empty registry. It creates and populates the sysadmingroup, and few other admin groups we use. It also creates the group types we use. Before doing the testing, I ran that program so I could use the UI. The problem was that some of the groups I used to test export/import included as members some of the admin groups I had already created. I might not even need the code change now that I understand the issues.

A related problem I encountered is that I'm unable to dump the entire registry. (That's why I was testing with -name.) We have a very large number of groups, and I did a rough calculation that it would take 32 hours to dump them all. If I try a full dump, after about 6 hours it stops without any useful info in the logs. I don't still have the logs, but I just get the high-level "unable to export to xml" error message and an unspecific exception message. I tried dumping the incomplete group at the end of the xml file, and it dumped without any errors. That suggests to me something difficult to debug, like maybe a memory leak. Since I only need to get this to work for the upgrade, I've been testing dumping stems with -name (so any single dump doesn't run for many hours) rather than dumping the entire registry at once, and that's been working. Given the long running time and the need to use -name with the dumps, I've also been considering using provisioning to recreate some of the groups.


Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.

Top of Page