grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] upgrading from 1.4.2 to 1.6.1

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] upgrading from 1.4.2 to 1.6.1

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Peter DiCamillo <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] upgrading from 1.4.2 to 1.6.1
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 17:08:03 -0400

Why would the groups already exist? Arent you dumping data and importing
into a clean registry?

Can you dump the whole 1.3 registry and import into a blank 1.6.1 database?

On Behalf Of Peter DiCamillo
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:15 PM

I'm in the process of doing an upgrade from Grouper 1.3 to Grouper 1.6.1
using the first method. I dumped some groups in 1.3.1 and restored them
in 1.6.1 using -xmlimportold. I dumped a stem immediately under the
root using -name, and no other options. I didn't use any options on the
import command.

I found that group members of groups were not being restored. I checked
the dump and it looks fine, with correct entries for group members of
groups. The groups to be added as members already existed, but the log
showed them not being found. The problem seems to be in the restore
program, XmlImporter.java, and this change fixed it for me:

426c426,431
< return this._getSubjectById(id, type);
---
> if (type.equals("group")) {
> return this._getSubjectByIdentifier(idfr, type);
> }
> else {
> return this._getSubjectById(id, type);
> }

I wouldn't expect the restored group to have the same id as the original
group (unlike people, who do have the same id), so I'm wondering how
this was intended to work.

Peter