grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] web services with rest/json

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] web services with rest/json

  • From: Scott Koranda <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] web services with rest/json
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 01:31:12 -0600

Hi,

> Hey,
>
> Just curious if anyone is using rest/json web services.

I have made some simple custom web page interfaces to Grouper.
They are javascript based and drive Grouper through its
REST/JSON interfaces.

So far I have had no issues.

> had some unit tests fail where the xstream library was
> serializing a bean and couldn't unserialize it (which isn't
> actually done in real life GrouperWs). Xstreams library has
> other issues related to the json it generates.

I haven't seen that problem.

> I tried
> google's gson, and json.org's library, and the latter was up
> to snuff. So I made the JSON marshaling pluggable where you
> can pick the old version or the new one (defaults to new
> one), this is in the grouper-ws.properties file.

Sounds great.

> Im still making sure the json.org library will work, but
> just curious is there are any opinions from you about this
> change.

I see us deploying a number of these customized interfaces to
Grouper that leverage the REST/JSON interfaces. The javascript
gives the users a nice browser experience and the REST/JSON is
just so easy to leverage.

So my opinion is please continue to support REST/JSON. :-)

Thanks,

Scott