grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] RE: Access privileges within sub-groups and composite groups

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] RE: Access privileges within sub-groups and composite groups

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Paul Gazda <>, Tom Barton <>
  • Cc: Grouper Users Mailing List <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] RE: Access privileges within sub-groups and composite groups
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 04:47:00 -0400

So the current implementation of Grouper's privileges is like Oracle PLSQL
execution security using "definer's rights" instead of "invoker's rights".
Another way to think of it is Oracle View security, where each privilege
includes the GRANT option (so if you grant a priv, the grantee can expose the
view to others without the underlying privilege).

Im thinking about how your proposal for a security scheme would work at Penn,
where we are trying to only give access to groups on an as needed basis (few
or no globally available [GrouperAll] groups). If our groups are made up of
other groups which are out of the user's control (for instance an
intersection with AllFacultyStudentStaff), then each time a user grants READ
on a group, then the user would need to make a report of all the underlying
groups, find out who the owners are, and ask the owners to grant READ to the
grantee as well. This sounds like a large administrative burden.

When the grantee does not have the necessary underlying privileges, one of
two things occurs.

1. The user just doesn't see the members of the underlying group (works for
unions, not so much for intersections/complements)

-or- 2. The user's access to the group fails (this is what oracle does in my
examples above)

I think you are suggesting #1 should occur, but I think this kind of silent
failure will not be noticed until some end user has an access problem, at
which time I think it would be difficult to trace all the group security
rules to find out where the problem is. Also I think the performance of #2
is better than #1 since the access is Boolean instead of a gray area
(different users see different member lists).

Currently Grouper's principal interface to the world is LDAP, and this kind
of security is not easy (or perhaps not possible) to implement in LDAP.

Anyways, I would think if we did ever add this, we would need to do like
Oracle where you grant READ or you grant READ with GRANT option, so you would
have a choice. And I think if there is an underlying access failure, then
the READ of the group should fail with a descriptive message (#2 above).

> Thanks for explaining why you can't implement more granular access
> privileges at this time. It seems to me that the ban on adding VIEW
> groups is ultimately tied to more granular evaluation of access
> privileges as well.

I guess this statement is correct... assuming #2 above, a user could make a
group with a member that is a group that user can READ, so the user wouldn't
be able to READ their own group, but perhaps other users with the underlying
access could.

Two more points:

1. The simpler the security scheme, the more likely (and the easier) someone
will be able to implement external security to Grouper (e.g. if you have a
central privilege management system). Right now the security in Grouper is
managed with AccessAdapter and NamingAdapter interfaces, so it is possible to
externalize.

2. I would like to point out that complex security schemes (i.e. two flavors
of READ privilege) are great for fine grained privilege management,
especially for the people who create the system. However, it is also
generally very difficult for end users to understand, to use correctly, and
to administer without training or spending lots of time. Penn has a
hierarchical privilege management system where you assign privileges as
ALLOW, DENY, or INHERIT from the parent node (sounds simple enough, right?),
and this is *constantly* a problem with end users to explain how the thing
works; and we find setups where the user thinks they did the right thing, but
in fact there are security issues with the setup.

> I hope you will keep these ideas in the suggestion
> box for possible future implementation.

Always. :)

Thanks!
Chris