grouper-users - Access privileges within sub-groups and composite groups

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Access privileges within sub-groups and composite groups

  • From: Paul Gazda <>
  • To: Grouper Users Mailing List <>
  • Subject: Access privileges within sub-groups and composite groups
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 11:54:45 -0700

I am seeing what seems to be an inconsistency in the way Grouper handles access privileges in sub-groups and composite groups. I have looked in the listserv archives and wiki and could not find info on this. I see the same behavior in both cases and will explain it with a sub-group example.

I have a group A.

I have a group B.

I make group B a sub-group of group A.

I query for the members of group A using getMembersWs of GrouperClient 1.4.1 as a non-admin. I see all of Group A’s members plus Group B plus Group B’s members - as expected.

I remove read and view access privileges on Group B for GrouperAll.

I query for the members of Group B and get an error that the group is not found – as expected.

I query for the members of Group A and see all of Group A’s members plus Group B plus Group B’s members. That is not what I would expect. I would expect to see only Group A’s members because Group B should still be invisible to GrouperAll.

Paul Gazda