grouper-users - RE: Access privileges within sub-groups and composite groups

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: Access privileges within sub-groups and composite groups

  • From: Paul Gazda <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>, Grouper Users Mailing List <>
  • Subject: RE: Access privileges within sub-groups and composite groups
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 18:04:44 -0700

Chris,

Thanks for your reply, although it is not what I was hoping to hear. J From the jira, it appears that there were technical factors contributing to the decision, and I realize that the issue of changing permissions on subgroups presents dilemmas no matter how you handle it. However, I do want to present arguments for having Grouper dynamically honor access permissions when displaying query results, and allowing subgroups with view privileges to be added.

First, dynamic evaluation of permissions. If a person creates a group with “read” access to GrouperAll, and other people incorporate it into their groups, and then the person changes access to “view” for GrouperAll, they would intuitively expect from that point on, that people would not be able to see the members of that group. They would not be thinking that the previous read privilege would be grandfathered into all groups that currently have it as a subgroup. If the burden is placed on the business logic of the UI, it could generate a lot of overhead for the admin user behind the scenes to look for all groups that contain the subgroup and delete it from all of them. That could be a very time consuming operation using web service calls.

I also see an advantage of allowing subgroups to be added when the user has only view access. For example, some standard groups may be provided to users such as all students, all staff, all faculty, etc. that may have thousands of members. If everyone needs read access to use them as subgroups, they will be able to query the members, and curiosity being what it is, many people will be bogging down response time by needlessly listing the thousands of members. The UI will have to prevent those kinds of queries via business logic, which probably means both special group design and special coding to recognize and suppress the querying of those special groups. It would be much simpler from a development point of view if Grouper returned only the group name to a user who had only view privilege at the time of the query.

Paul Gazda