grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Grouper UI 1.4.1 and Mac Safari 4 beta

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Grouper UI 1.4.1 and Mac Safari 4 beta

  • From: Scott Koranda <>
  • To: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • Cc: Chris Hyzer <>, Grouper Users Mailing List <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Grouper UI 1.4.1 and Mac Safari 4 beta
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 08:09:31 -0600

Hi,

> As Chris says we have very little JavaScript.

Sorry, the JavaScript was just my guess based on what I have
read about the capabilities of Safari 4.

> The UI can sometimes behave strangely if you use the back button too many
> times - session state gets out of synch with the web page. It would be
> good
> to rule that possibility out.

We did rule that out. The user repeated his exercise without
using the back button.

> Looking at the screen shots and the log file you sent Chris there appear
> be two issues:
>
> 1) not all parameters are being posted from forms - or used properly. They
> are standard forms so I don't see why they wouldn't work...
>
> 2) a couple of errors show a problem loading a group or stem with id
> '47a39f3f-dcf3-4161-8d46-9b6e45ed547c' - which suggests that the
> group/stem
> has been deleted or the user no longer has privileges to use the group.
> Does
> a group or stem with that id exist?

I am fairly sure it did since the tasks worked fine in
Firefox. He ran them one after another (not currently) to make
sure he was treating each browser the same.

Unfortunately this was working on my Grouper/LDAP testbed and
since then I have reinitialized the database a few times.

> To investigate 1) you can try changing the forms in
> webapp/WEB-INF/jsp/subheader.jsp and simpleSubjectSearch.jsp to use 'get'
> rather than 'post'. That would tell us whether it was a post specific
> problem and would show the parameters in the query string of the location
> bar/access log (if you are accessing Tomcat via a web server).
>
> You can also activate debug mode (populateDebugPrefs.do). Each page should
> then give you the option to:
> Show request attributes - Show request headers - Show session attributes
> -
> Show application attributes
>
> The act as self / act as admin form uses a redirect so you won't see
> anything there, but you should for most other forms.
>
> The Act as form should pass a parameter 'wheelGroupAction'.
>
> For the future I'll add some additional debug logging so that request
> parameters are output to the log file.
>
> NB you can configure the UI to use its own log file. This may give some
> additional information - it logs the current session and user.

Thanks. The user has downgraded to Safari 3 so he can get work
done in general (Safari 4 beta crashed too many times on him),
but if he has time or another user will help me debug then I
will try all this.

Cheers,

Scott