grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] More Grouper Question

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] More Grouper Question

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Gabby Capitanchik <>
  • Cc: , Tim gray <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] More Grouper Question
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:34:17 +0000

--On 27 January 2009 16:20 +0000 Gabby Capitanchik <> wrote:

Hi,

> Duke, Brown, Cornell and others probably have direct experience, but
> generating lots of new groups and/or memberships will take some time
> 8hrs+ I would guess depending on your systems and the numbers involved

By lots do you mean 100s, 1000s or 10000s?
Say 10,000-30,000 groups and 100,000s of members.

Cheers

Gabby Capitanchik

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
--On 27 January 2009 15:49 +0000 Gabby Capitanchik

Thanks for the responses so far! I have been reading through the
documentation and have a couple of more questions for you guys:-

1) Does Grouper take a copy of Identity information from an IDM/ID Store
or does it hold a reference to that data. For example, a uuid?
Grouper maintains subject ids in the grouper_members table. It is up to
the source adapter to map the subject id to a uuid in the IDM/ID Store.

2) Has anyone got experience of how Grouper handle large volumes of
group change. For example, at the start of an academic year (for student
groups) or when an Organisational structure changes (for staff)
Duke, Brown, Cornell and others probably have direct experience, but
generating lots of new groups and/or memberships will take some time
8hrs+ I would guess depending on your systems and the numbers involved

3)What is the maximum number of groups that Grouper can handle?
There is no limit as such - assuming your RDBMS can hold the data and
indexes. Depending on how groups are structured in a stem hierarchy and
how privileges are assigned some operations, particularly in the UI, may
be slow.

I believe sites are using 100,000s of groups and millions of memberships.

Cheers

Gabby

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.