grouper-users - Grouper improvements

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Grouper improvements

  • From: Josef Krupička <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Grouper improvements
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 15:27:58 +0200

Hi,

we plan to use Grouper in our IT infrastructure and we have resources (skilled java developer) to improve current state of Grouper. We have some difficulties with Grouper UI and speed of data importing and exporting. I tried version built from CVS HEAD.

Current version of Grouper UI is much better and faster than previous versions but it is still not so fast and "user friendly" as we would like. I can imagine more responsive and simpler UI (it must be accessible to teachers and staff with nearly no IT skills). We have good experience with Adobe Flex and it won't be so hard to create other version of UI with this framework. Are you interested in this kind of extension?

Secondly we need fast way to batch import and export groups and memberships. I browsed source codes of Grouper API and I think there is way to optimize it. We use Oracle as main database platform and with use of its features (PL/SQL procedures, triggers, custom datatypes, ...) lots of operations (inserting, updating modified hierarchy, ...) will be in my opinion much faster. I will try to create prototype and post some results.

In near future we will need to connect Grouper with Sun IDM. In current version there is no simple way to find out information about deleted groups and memberships. Do you plan to implement this feature?

Josef Krupicka
University of West Bohemia in Pilsen, Czech republic