grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] FERPA Protected Data

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] FERPA Protected Data

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Thomas M Goerger <>, "" <>
  • Cc: Kevin J ORourke <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] FERPA Protected Data
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:56:38 -0400

I don't remember an open Jira issue about this. It can sort of be done in
1.4 (coming out in Oct/Nov) with hooks. You could configure your list or
regex of folders (in grouper.properties or some config file) such that if a
group is created under it (or edited if you like), that it will unassign the
EveryEntity read or list privileges. If there isn't a better way to do this
(anyone?) we could consider a grouper-built-in hook like the group attribute
validators... shouldn't be too difficult.

I don't know of a way to add a "type" or some flag to folders, so a sysadmin
would need to configure which stems or regexes are private. If you did a
regex (substring), then if your stem name has a certain substring then it
would match, or maybe some certain substring in the description. Another way
to flag is making a 'marker' group with no members (e.g. called
"school:etc:nonPublicRead"), and if that group has a privilege against a
folder, it is "marked". Doesn't sound ideal... but just trying to think if
it can be done without too large of a change (e.g. stem metadata)

Thoughts?
Chris