grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Changing Grouper ID

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Changing Grouper ID

  • From: Thomas M Goerger <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>, Tom Barton <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Changing Grouper ID
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 13:10:30 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks for the advice. I did manage to get the subject_id to update in
the database, and in the UI finally. A few notes though, and maybe
someone can tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

I wasn't able to get the name to change by using the grouper shell. I was
able to get the commands to run successfully, and was able to see the
change made within the shell. However, when I accessed the database after
making these changes, I didn't see any change to the subject ID there. Is
there something I need to do to push these changes through?

In order to make the actual change to the subject ID, I just hit the
database itself, and changed the subject ID using SQL commands. Fine for
what we need. But, in order for the UI to actually see the changes made,
I had to rebuild the UI completely. I'm sure that this wouldn't actually
be necessary. Is there another way to refresh what the UI is seeing in
the database short of rebuilding? I'm not certain how to just restart the
Grouper instance, which I'm sure would probably do it. However, this
brings up another question. Why would I need to restart Grouper at all?
Surely there should be an easy way to dump the cache that Grouper is
working off of, and force it to see a fresh view of the DB. Any way to do
this?

I'm wondering if anyone has actually changed a subject ID in Grouper the
way we are. It doesn't seem like these problems have come up with anyone
else, from searching the Web, or from reading the list. Is this not
something that was expected to happen, or is Grouper just not built to
accomodate this?

Thanks,

Tom Goerger
University of Minnesota