grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] ldappc_1_0 help

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] ldappc_1_0 help

  • From: "Michael R. Gettes" <>
  • To: Grouper-Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] ldappc_1_0 help
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 12:08:11 -0400

I'd add a word of caution to this advice Tom. For sites with Directory
entries containing "reasonable amounts of data" this could be a significant
performance problem. If ldappc is accessing the directory with a priv'd identity
allowing access to all attributes and you are a site that stores pictures
in the directory - then you will get back huge amounts of data where it is
not required. I would advise each site to consider its own environment and
their performance needs and gauge for themselves whether or not they should
specify the <atttribute> elements. While it will be "easiest" to simply
remove these elements - it is usually wiser to include them and only specify
the attributes really needed for best performance and an understanding of how
and why things work.

/mrg