grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Information about deleted groups and users

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Information about deleted groups and users

  • From: Kathryn Huxtable <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>, aragorn <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Information about deleted groups and users
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:38:47 -0500

Essentially, the problem with the logical diff for isMemberOf operations is
that you're still updating the members of a group, logically, rather than
the groups for a member.

You can either choose to allocate enough memory to hold the current
membership, allowing a moderately efficient query, though not always, and
then do the logical diff among a bunch of sets, or you can use a database
table. If you use an in-memory database such as hsqldb you still have the
memory requirement. If you use a file-based database then you only need to
hold all the group names for a user at any one time. (The logical diff is
*much* faster if done in memory, but you only need the particular thing
you're differencing.)

For awhile, I've had boiler-plate code that differences two databases and
makes one like the other. I trimmed it down to a difference operation for a
table with two elements, the subject ID and the group name. This is pretty
effective.

-K

On 4/24/07 8:40 PM, "Tom Barton"