grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] another xml-import question.....

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] another xml-import question.....

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] another xml-import question.....
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:00:29 +0000

--On 13 March 2007 16:15 -0400

wrote:

I'm trying to move over a set of group definitions from our existing, old
Brown Grouper system. That software supported the concept of "nested
groups", as does MACE Grouper. I'm generating an xml file, and then using
MACE Grouper's xml-import tool to load the data into MACE Grouper.

I'm been able to use this approach to successfully load people into my
groups; however, I'm having no luck specifying that Group A should
include the members of Group B.

Here's the syntax I'm using:

<stem extension="DEPARTMENT" displayExtension="DEPARTMENT">
<group extension="ALUMNI_RELATIONS" displayExtension="ALUMNI_RELATIONS">
<list field="members">
<subject identifier="EAB.DEPARTMENT.ALUMNI_RELATIONS" type="group"
immediate='true' />
</list>
</group>
</stem>
Should EAB.DEPARTMENT.ALUMNI_RELATIONS be EAB:DEPARTMENT:ALUMNI_RELATIONS?

Grouper uses : and not . as a separator. Otherwise the XML looks OK.

I'm concerned about the "subject" element -- do I have the right set of
attributes?
They should be fine. It is possible to use id instead of identifier, but the XML is often more readable if you use identifiers.

and, in the GUI, how would I see that DEPARTMENT. ALUMNI_RELATIONS
contains the EAB.DEPARTMENT.ALUMNI_RELATIONS group?
You should see something like:
<displayExtension> is a direct member

if you show indirect members then the members of EAB.DEPARTMENT.ALUMNI_RELATIONS will also be listed:

<subject> : is an indirect member

In the QuickStart, the groups:
# [All Academic Staff]
# [All students]
# [All Students and Staff]

are all groups which have other groups as direct members.

thanks!

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing