grouper-users - v1.1 comments

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

v1.1 comments

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To:
  • Subject: v1.1 comments
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:02:44 -0800 (PST)

We're working with a copy of grouper v1.1 at University of Washington.
Here are some initial comments.

All-in-all it's been fun thus far - just the right level of
difficulty.

The LDAP subject source is great. All our subjects come from
there. A couple of things though:

1) The gsh tool doesn't seem to be able to find it. I had
to populate the wheel group by hand.

2) Subject searches can return hundreds of names. I'd be
nice if they could be sorted.

3) When displaying a subject summary, multi-valued attributes,
e.g., eduPersonAffiliation, have only one value displayed.

4) (tiny complaint) I had to specify a SECURITY_PRINCIPAL in
sources.xml even though I was doing external ssl auth and
didn't need one.

The two values "subject id" and "subject name" are the
source of some confusion. (The sources.xml config entry
"searchSubjectByIdentifier", for example, really means "search
subject by name".) We have an invarient identifier, a regID, akin
to a uuid, which we use for what you call an id. And we have a
login username, aka an id, which we use for what you call a name.
Our users also have names, which you call descriptions. I have been
able to make things work smoothly by setting both 'searchSubject'
and 'searchSubjectByIdentifier' both use the search

(|(uwNetID=%TERM%)(uwRegID=%TERM%))

i.e. look for either.

We haven't tried importing our existing groups yet. Nor have we
yet tried exporting the data to LDAP.

Jim