grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Performance Issues

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Performance Issues

  • From: Shilen Patel <>
  • To: "blair christensen." <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Performance Issues
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:42:44 -0500

Thanks for all the quick responses! I look forward to hearing about these performance improvements.
Thanks,

-- Shilen

blair christensen. wrote:
On 12/12/06, Shilen Patel
2. Since the ALL subject is granted read and view privileges to all of
the groups, method calls like Member.hasRead() and Member.hasView() can
take hours.

I checked in a small change to HEAD last night that should help
slightly. Initial profiling suggested at 5-10% improvement. We were
performing a redundant query for all of ALL's memberships within those
methods. These methods are still far slower than I'd like them to be
so I will continue to look into them.

3. I have an instance where a Group X has admin privileges to about
20,000 groups. It takes about an hour to add a member to Group X
because the new member is indirectly given admin privileges to the
20,000 groups.

I haven't had a chance to take a look at this yet. However, I suspect
until we make effective memberships either asynchronous changes or
else significantly lighter weight objects this will be a problem.
I'll be looking at this some more once after I've done some more
profiling on the methods listed in #2.

Have issues like these been addressed? Will they be resolved in a
future version of Grouper? Any tips on how I can perform these
operations faster?

This is an area of ongoing improvement - and there is a lot of room
for improvement.