grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Performance Issues

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Performance Issues

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Shilen Patel <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Performance Issues
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:31:55 -0600

Some clarification requested below. -Tom

Shilen Patel wrote:
Hello,

I have Grouper 1.1 installed with about 72,000 groups and 460,000 members. After adding all these groups and members, I've noticed performance issues like the following:

1. In the Grouper UI, using the "Manage Groups" link stalls. However, I have no problems using "All Groups".

Does this occur generally, just for people that belong to something like Group X, or some other circumstance?

2. Since the ALL subject is granted read and view privileges to all of the groups, method calls like Member.hasRead() and Member.hasView() can take hours.

Do you mean it can take hours to list the GrouperAll subject's privileges, or those of some other subject?

3. I have an instance where a Group X has admin privileges to about 20,000 groups. It takes about an hour to add a member to Group X because the new member is indirectly given admin privileges to the 20,000 groups.

Can you tell us what RDBMS technology is in use? What all is between grouper and the groups database? Same question for subject sources.

Have issues like these been addressed? Will they be resolved in a future version of Grouper? Any tips on how I can perform these operations faster?

Thanks,

-- Shilen