grouper-users - Playing with a new group type

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Playing with a new group type

  • From: Keith Hazelton <>
  • To:
  • Cc: EIS Architecture <>
  • Subject: Playing with a new group type
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:53:47 -0600

I've had some success adding a new group type "service" that is like group type "base" but with three additional list attributes:

elig-affils
includes
excludes

This is part of a project to prototype our PASE (Populations, affiliations, services, entitlements) system here at UW-Madison.

Basic idea is to manage things like "Give 'wiscCal' calendar service to 'contractors'"

so wiscCal is modeled as a group of type "service" named "pase:service:wiscCal"
and contractors is a simple group of type "base" named "pase:affil:contractors"
and the list attribute of wiscCal called 'elig-affils' has one member, "pase:affiliation:contractors"

This required some fairly straightforward modifications to .../grouper-0.5/contrib/load/groupmgr/groupmgr.java which are marked with comments of the form
/* v added khazelton 29-Dec-04 */

Basically I added a command line option "-t <gtype>" to allow one to specify the group type to be acted upon

running the modified groupmgr.java with the command line:

java groupmgr -v -a -g -s pase:service -e wiscCal -t service

gave the following message, among others, in -verbose mode:

2004-12-29 20:32:00,968 INFO event: 'GrouperSystem' created 'pase:service:wiscCal' (service)

The modified groupmgr.java file can be viewed at:

http://arch.doit.wisc.edu/keith/i2/grouper/groupmgr.java

--Keith

Keith Hazelton Senior IT Architect, UW-Madison
(608) 262-0771 Division of Info. Technology
(608) 877-0977 (home) 1210 W. Dayton St., rm. 2164
http://arch.doit.wisc.edu/keith Madison, WI 53706