grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] How to add a group preDelete hook to check a group's memberships?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] How to add a group preDelete hook to check a group's memberships?

  • From: "Redman, Chad" <>
  • To: "Black, Carey M." <>, "Hyzer, Chris" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] How to add a group preDelete hook to check a group's memberships?
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 16:06:10 +0000

Black, Carey M. wrote:

> I wonder if the Loader Job is doing the removals of the members before it deletes the group due to having zero members at the end of the job? ( I have not looked at the code. )

It's definitely the structure of the Group.delete() method. That method deletes some associated records, then calls GrouperDAOFactory.getFactory().getGroup().delete(). That ends up in Hib3GroupDAO which does some other deletes, before calling byObject.delete(g) as the last step. It's the last step that calls the hook, so plenty of things are happening in an uncommitted transaction before that point.

> BTW: You did not report Grouper Version and Patch level. ( How do you expect a developer to help you if you can’t tell them what code you are running!? ??? LOL. 😊 )

Fair point! Since this is the dev list, the version is the tip of the master branch :) Originally this was found at our institution's installation which is a few patches behind, but I confirmed with the current code before posting.

>                 “sync process” ( PSP? PSPNG? Something else? )

>                                 You were not completely clear on these details, but assuming that the sync jobs are operating on a Change Log Consumer based sync process.

>                                 If so, then there is a delay between when the Memberships are removed and when the “events” are processed from those removals. ( Depends on how often/when you > run those jobs. )

It's a group list loader, and the like string is set so that any groups that stop being found in the query get deleted.

> B) I am guessing that the current DB transaction state is being used (“AKA: not dirty read, but consistent with the current transaction. So the remove members SQL ‘has been processed’ already as far as the Grouper API inside that DB transactions is concerned. “ Which appears to be Chris’s thoughts too.)

I think you're both right. I can confirm Chris' solution of a second transaction works to solve this, so I will go with it. I can look at the wiki and see if there is anything I can add. The hook articles are mostly old and in varying states.

There is also a Membership hook which might have been more straightforward. But that will get called much more frequently than a group delete hook which will actually not fire very often. So it would some degree of a performance hit.

-Chad