grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] USDU delete subjects after unresolvable for X days

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] USDU delete subjects after unresolvable for X days

  • From: "Gettes, Michael" <>
  • To: "Black, Carey M." <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] USDU delete subjects after unresolvable for X days
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 21:12:17 +0000

I have made comment similar to this concern to Hyzer and Bert as well related
to PSPNG. PSPNG goes into a “degraded” mode when it tries to handle a group
that has been deleted - it essentially assumes it must handle it. I deleted
a group with 100K members and it took hours but the group was never
provisioned by PSPNG. I have suggested that certain operations (like a group
delete) needs to be able to look into the PIT and get the attributes at time
of deletion regarding that group. Maybe we need to do the same thing for
changelog consumers to look into the PIT for deleted users and the attributes
they had at the time. I think that would avoid the “multi-phase” processing
you are suggesting. Now, I am sure, with all this input and ideas, our dear
talented grouper devs will come up with the most appropriate way of handling
these situations going forward.

As for discussing things on wiki’s and such. I really don’t care - I am just
following how Chris wants it done. There are lots of ways of doing things
and I am pretty much only interested in viable outcomes - how we get there -
as long as we get there and it doesn’t take forever - is what I care about.

I hope this helps. Again, I understand your concerns — and I agree with them
— it’s a matter of how to address them and not just for subjects. It’s a
more general problem.

/mrg