grouper-dev - [grouper-dev] Learning how to use the PSP tool

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

[grouper-dev] Learning how to use the PSP tool

  • From: David Vezzani <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-dev] Learning how to use the PSP tool
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 21:00:39 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

From what I can tell so far, the grouper-loader and psp tools are similar in
that they, move data from one source to another.

The grouper-loader seems to have set of legacy attributes (via the Admin UI)
and newer attributes (via the Lite UI) that are used to configure
how/what/where data is pulled from a data source into Grouper.

The psp tool apparently uses a suite of configuration files and a properties
file to determine how/what/where groups and associated members are
provisioned to a data repository.

While I’m by no means an expert with using grouper-loader, I understand how
to use it sufficiently to do what I need it to do.

The psp tool, on the other hand, has configuration files that have a
complexity for which I do not yet have a sufficient knowledge base, even
after watching the videos.

For instance, the tutorials and documentation refer to the fact that the
Shibboleth libraries (not Shibboleth itself) are used to make the calls to
ldap to add/del/update data in an LDAP repository. It would seem that at
least knowing what those Shibboleth library actions are would help when
adding configuration to the pap-resolver.xml file.

Here are a couple of the resources I have found that I thought would be
useful:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+Provisioning
http://idmoim.blogspot.com/2014/05/adding-new-attribute-to-grouper-psp.html

When learning the psp tool, what is a good suggested learning track?

David Vezzani
(c) 209-756-9688
(o) 209-228-4516

  • [grouper-dev] Learning how to use the PSP tool, David Vezzani, 09/26/2014