grouper-dev - Re: [cifer-api] Re: [grouper-dev] SCIM on the roadmap

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [cifer-api] Re: [grouper-dev] SCIM on the roadmap

  • From: Keith Hazelton <>
  • To: Benn Oshrin <>
  • Cc: Keith Hazelton <>, grouper-dev <>, "" <>, " discussion" <>
  • Subject: Re: [cifer-api] Re: [grouper-dev] SCIM on the roadmap
  • Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 13:41:09 -0500

Benn,

Let me be 100% clear, we're NOT talking about trying to do the CIFER APIs by
extending SCIM. CIFER's Shared-API group has a good path forward and one
we've got hard-won and solid agreement on.

This is more to say that in addition to implementing the full CIFER APIs it
might be useful for some purposes to ALSO expose a SCIM service endpoint.

--Keith
_______________

On 10/07/13, Benn Oshrin wrote:
> Speaking inappropriately on behalf of OR :) while there could be some use
> for a SCIM library I think the immediate use cases are much more around
> what the CIFER SOR-Registry API is trying to accomplish. When we last
> looked at that, the conclusion seemed to be that SCIM wasn't necessarily
> close enough to be worth extending.
>
> Perhaps a topic for ACAMP.
>
> -Benn-
>
> On 10/4/13 4:30 PM, Keith Hazelton wrote:
> >Let me try to explain this more clearly.
> >
> >If we are writing SCIM services for Grouper and potentially for Open
> >Registry and Central Person Registry, it might be nice to have open source
> >libraries for SCIM. As far as I know today, the currently available SCIM
> >libraries are either not open source (UnboundId) or not fully featured
> >(SCIMProxy).
> >
> >Would there be interest in exploring the creation of an open source SCIM
> >library that could be used by Grouper, Open Registry, Central Person
> >Registry and potentially other projects?
> >
> > Regards, --Keith
> >_______________
> >On 10/04/13, Keith Hazelton wrote:
> >>On the topic of the planned SCIM provisioning service for Grouper:
> >>
> >>As far as I know the SCIM world doesn't have an equivalent to the
> >>OpenSAML libraries for SAML. So does that mean Grouper developers will
> >>have to come up with their own SCIM code from scratch?
> >>
> >>Since there's active discussion about adding SCIM support to the two new
> >>open source identity registry products, Open Registry and Central Person
> >>Registry, I'm wondering if there's an opportunity here to collaborate on
> >>the work and perhaps even consider jointly producing an OpenSCIM library.
> >>
> >>--Keith
begin:vcard
n:HAZELTON;KEITH;;;
fn:KEITH D HAZELTON
tel;work:608 262-0771
org:University of Wisconsin-Madison;DoIT
adr:;;1210 W. Dayton St.;Madison;WI;53706;US
email;work;internet:
title:Sr. IT Architect
version:2.1
end:vcard