grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] grouper ActiveMQ integration

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] grouper ActiveMQ integration

  • From: Keith Hazelton <>
  • To: "" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] grouper ActiveMQ integration
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 14:24:27 -0500

On 10/23/12, Jim Fox wrote:
> >3. The polling doesn't seem like it scales... if every need to get a
> >message is a poll (every minute? every 15 seconds?) then that are a lot of
> >SSL web service requests as opposed to a socket which is just waiting for
> >traffic. If you have a lot of apps on a machine or a cluster it seems like
> >this polling can add up.
>
> We first used the direct connection from SNS to an http app, but it turned
> out, for this application, to have the SNS topic send to an SQS queue from
> which we pull the messages. We use a sliding polling frequency. As long as
> there are messages on the queue we retrieve the next immediately. If the
> queue is empty we wait a minute and then poll. If that goes on very long we
> back off to five minutes per poll.

This approach is further described in a blog post on
forecastcloudy.net: http://bit.ly/pl55Yr

--Keith
begin:vcard
n:HAZELTON;KEITH;;;
fn:KEITH D HAZELTON
tel;work:608 262-0771
org:University of Wisconsin-Madison;DoIT
adr:;;1210 W. Dayton St.;Madison;WI;53706;US
email;work;internet:
title:Sr. IT Architect
version:2.1
end:vcard