grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] gid/fid/aid

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] gid/fid/aid

  • From: David Langenberg <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>, Benn Oshrin <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] gid/fid/aid
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 18:15:56 -0400

Won't that put a max-limit on objects in the database to be the system max int?  Doesn't seem like a workable ceiling until we get 128bit machines.  Even so, you still have enough 32-bit machines out there that it wouldn't be safe to allow any int greater than 2^32 for at least the GID case.  What would be more handy would be a special attribute type of say sequence which could be set on a group-by-group basis.  This would still cause a max-membership limit of system-max-int and for the GID case 2^32, but the constraint would be local to just that particular group rather than database-wide.

Dave