grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] stem.getAlternateNames() ?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] stem.getAlternateNames() ?

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: Shilen Patel <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] stem.getAlternateNames() ?
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 16:43:53 -0500

> There may just not have been any use cases for stem alternate names at the
> time.  I think we could add it if there's a use case now.

The use case, I think, is that we can support renaming objects (groups
and stems) in real-time via the change log as well as via full-syncs.

> How are you using (or planning to use) the alternate names?  Keep in mind
> that we only keep one alternate name for groups and whether it gets set or
> not is optional at the time a user performs a move.  So if you're
> expecting it to always be set as the most recent name in LDAP, there may
> be some issues to consider.

The first written non-javadoc documentation :

I created a new <alternateIdentifier /> element in the ldappcng
configuration, so that a provisioned object may have zero or more
alternate identifiers. These alternate identifiers are computed via
the shibboleth attribute resolver :

<object id="group" />
<identifier ref="groupDN" />
<alternateIdentifier ref="alternateGroupDN" />
<alternateIdentifier ref="alternateGroupDNChangeLog" />
</identifier>
</object>

<attributeDefinition ref="alternateGroupDN" ...>
<resolver:Dependency ref="GroupDataConnector" />
</attributeDefinition>

<attributeDefinition ref="alternateGroupDNChangeLog" ...>
<resolver:Dependency ref="ChangeLogDataConnector" />
</attributeDefinition>

When an object is provisioned, if the identifier does not exist on the
target, but one and only one alternate identifier does, then the
object will be renamed.

If the alternate identifier boolean is not set during copy or move
operations, then provisioned objects will be deleted and created,
rather than renamed, since no alternate identifiers exist.

Hmm, well, actually, it depends on how many times an object has been
moved and whether or not the boolean was set each time. Shrug.

TomZ