grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev Call 12-Oct-2011

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev Call 12-Oct-2011

  • From: "Michael A. Grady" <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>
  • Cc: Keith Hazelton <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev Call 12-Oct-2011
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:13:59 -0500

Sounds like you might have things well in hand; getting accessibility folks
directly involved is best, who can provide guidance on design principles and
frameworks to use.

I can point to a few resources though, which we've taken some advantage of in
our work on the DMP Tool ( https://dmp.cdlib.org , of course a much simpler
service than group management!).

First, Illinois has some expertise in accessible web design in a group at
DRES ( http://www.disability.illinois.edu/ ):

http://www.cita.uiuc.edu/

They've created a couple of tools for evaluating functional accessibility,
one a web site you to and fill in a url to test (but doesn't work with https
and authenticated pages), and one a Firefox extension that adds an
Accessibility menu drop-down to Firefox (not sure if it works with the latest
and greatest Firefox versions or not). Those tools are undergoing some new
work to include WCAG 2.0 ruleset support.
Firefox extension: http://firefox.cita.illinois.edu/

They do have a lot of info, and examples around, ARIA at:

http://test.cita.illinois.edu/aria/
http://oaa-accessibility.org/

and Illinois is a participating member of the Open AJAX Alliance
Accessibility Tools Task Force:

http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/Accessibility

Another tool which looks to already have support for WCAG 2.0 is AChecker:

http://atutor.ca/achecker/

--
Michael A. Grady
Executive Program Officer for Cyberinfrastructure