grouper-dev - [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev Call 12-Oct-2011

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

[grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev Call 12-Oct-2011

  • From: Emily Eisbruch <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev Call 12-Oct-2011
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:06:08 -0400

Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev Call 12-Oct-2011

Attending

Tom Barton, University of Chicago (chair)
Gary Brown, Bristol
Shilen Patel, Duke
Lynn Garrison, PSU
Tom Zeller, Unicon
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)

New Action Items

[AI] (Shilen) will email the Grouper-users list regarding 1) cache issue (GRP 669),  2) recommendation to change the default cache setting from "unlimited,"  and 3) change log issue (JIRA 667)

[AI] (Gary) follow up w Rob U. at Simon Fraser University on Admin UI issue (see 7-Oct-2011 email)

[AI] (Emily) start -- and work with Shilen on -- a wiki documentation page with descriptions/recommendations on ongoing operational tasks, including those related to periodic database pruning. Then possibly send a pointer to the Grouper-users list asking for additions.

[AI] (Emily) review documentation on how to configure a group to send email notification re a membership change

[AI] (Emily) remind TomB to include on the Grouper-dev call agenda for  26-Oct-2011:
      1) Decision on  a date for the Grouper 2.0.1 release
      2)  Decision on whether hibernate changes should be included in the 2.0.1 release

Carry Over Action Items

[AI] (TomZ) will review the Grouper LDAP Loader doc and provide feedback to Chris, possibly with lessons learned from LDAPPC work.
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+-+Loader+LDAP

[AI] (TomZ) will update JIRA to reflect the priorities

[AI] (Gary) will email the Grouper-Dev list with specifics on UI accessibility issues

[AI] (Rob) will follow up with Danno on obtaining the server for the Continuous Integration Environment.

[AI] (Everyone) review Rob's chapters and give him feedback on the Grouper Users List.

DISCUSSION

Grouper v2.0.1 and Latest Issues

- Shilen fixed the "Point in time sync fails" cache issue:

- Another caching issue: the default caching setting in the XML files is set to "unlimited" (can lead to caching forever).
It should be set to a low value (like 1 second) instead.

- For Grouper 2.01, the default cache settings will be revised. Shilen will email the Grouper-users list to advise folks to make this change in 2.0.

- Shilen resolved Change Log issue (JIRA 667) https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-667

[AI] (Shilen) will email the Grouper-users list regarding 1) cache issue (GRP 669),  2) recommendation to change the default cache setting from "unlimited,"  and 3) change log issue (JIRA 667)

- Shilen is working on the issue that Julio found. Might involve using Grouper 1.6 and Grouper 2.0 together.

- Gary is working on the Admin UI issue raised in this email:

[AI] (Gary) follow up w Rob U. at Simon Fraser University on Admin UI issue (see 7-Oct-2011 email)

Q : Should we let Grouper 2.0 settle longer before releasing Grouper 2.01?
Decision: Yes.  At next Grouper-dev call on 26-Oct-2011, set a time for release of Grouper 2.0

Potential FAQ items and Take-Away Bullets from 2011 Fall Member Meeting Face-to-Face Grouper WG session

These were suggestions from the group at the 2011 FMM Grouper WG session:

- OAuth - voot on github
- Workflow integration in Grouper?
- Enhancements to Rules?  XMPP messages
- Interest from CMU and COManage for earlier 2.2 release for UI capability.
- Federated Groupers for permissions
- Outreach to science community, training, commercial support.
- Easier installation process

Sending notification of membership & other changes: email, xmpp
- what can Grouper do to send notification on a membership change?
- Use rules to send an email? Use XMPP?
- Can use ESB connector rather than a rule.
- How can we inform users better about how to do notification?
- Does the ESB convey changes to role or permissions or attribute changes (beyond membership changes)  ?
- Probably not, since some of these were not finished with RobH worked on the ESB\
- ESB connector reads off the generic change log consumer, but it might filter out any kind of event besides a membership change
- need to double check with ChrisH, who is not on today's call.

[AI] (Emily) review documentation on how to configure a group to send email notification re a membership change

Developing Standards for Groups

- TomB: For XMPP,  there is a need for a group, and updates to it, to be maintained in a single standard schema, in one service.
- Use cases are important to Virtual Organizations. One of the use cases is for  Foodle (a federated Doodle)  ... SURFContext (with Grouper) is being used for this.
- Recent MACE call focused on VOOT as a possible solution.
- How should we encode the kind of changes we want to notify over various protocols?
- Use OpenSocial schema? Use SCIM schema? SPML?
- Hope TomZ can do some comparisons between these options.

Estimating Grouper DB Size
- Many factors involved --- Audit, change log, loader jobs.
- How often those get cleared affects size of database
- Do we have a page in one place talking about how to prune/maintain those tables?

[AI] (Emily) start -- and work with Shilen on -- a wiki documentation page with descriptions/recommendations on ongoing operational tasks, including those related to periodic database pruning.
Then possibly send a pointer to the Grouper-users list asking for additions.

Grouper. v2.1 Planning
Real-time incremental LDAPPCNG
   - TomZ is working on it.
  - Lynn noted that PSU is currently focusing on central person registry, so there be a bit more time than previously thought
  - U Chicago is also interested in real time incremental provisioning
LDAP Grouper loader
  - Chris has been working on this
   - may be basically done
Grouper entities in namespace
  - Both Penn and PSU may have requirements here
Hibernate upgrade
  - We think Chris has done this, but need to double check with him
  - TomZ: There may be work to do to verify this work beyond updating the jar, each developer deals w some portions of the API
  - TomZ suggested that we should keep all the code the same but upgrade jar versions, so if there are issues w 3rd party libraries we can pin them down
  -  Save Hibernate Upgrade for 2.1 release, since it could be a major change? Decide on next call...
Grouper WS/client group/stem finder sorting/paging
     - not sure status, come back to this on next call

Grouper v2.1, Potential Features: In or Out?
Subject attribute WS security
     - is there a PSU use case?
 Always available readonly client
    -  is this about replicating databases, so you can use alternative Grouper clients or servers?
    - about high availability (load balancing) web services for READ (as alternative to getting access via LDAP directory service)
Grouper web services attribute/permission expansion
   - role and resource hierarchies can lead to large amount of flattened changes
   - what goes in change log is somewhat broken and must be looked at for Grouper 2.1
   - We will need to have discussions around flattening / replicating permission and role info.
   - Maybe an application specific connector will need to deal with permission info.
    - Lynn: PSU does NOT need Grouper to push out  roles and permissions. They will use web services . They need group info only to be pushed out.
   - Should we let that part of LDAPPCNG (pushing out flattened permission changes) pend for a bit longer?
   - We may not have a use case, so TomZ should do what works best for him in terms of the coding work
uPortal integration update
Shilen is communicating with Brigitte, who is interested in some upgrade capabilities in the connector.

Next Grouper call: Wed. Oct. 26 at noon ET.

Emily Eisbruch, Technology Transfer Analyst
Internet2
office: +1-734-352-4996 | mobile +1-734-730-5749

Visit our website: www.internet2.edu
Follow us on Twitter:
www.twitter.com/internet2
Become a Fan on Facebook: