grouper-dev - [grouper-dev] RE: gsh addMember(group, subject id, Field) ??

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

[grouper-dev] RE: gsh addMember(group, subject id, Field) ??

  • From: "Klug, Lawrence" <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: [grouper-dev] RE: gsh addMember(group, subject id, Field) ??
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 12:07:00 -0700

Thanks for the clarification, Chris.

From: Chris Hyzer [mailto:]
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 11:06 AM
To: Klug, Lawrence; Grouper Dev
Subject: RE: gsh addMember(group, subject id, Field) ??

This was when we thought having lists in groups was a good idea, but I think support for that is not as widespread as other things.

For instance, you can make a group called: english101

When you add a member, it goes to the “members” list.

You could create a list of “instructors”, and “teachingAssistants”, and add members to those lists.

The problem is you cant add the instructors list to another group, so it limits you.

Instead, typically you will make an english101_students group, and an english101_instructors group, etc.

Privileges on a group are implemented in an interface where the default implementation is to use lists: ADMIN, UPDATE, READ, etc.

To make a long story short, it is whatever fields you have defined:

e.g. FieldFinder.find(“members”, true)

or try

FieldFinder.find(“admins”, true)  (though Im not sure if privileges give you an exception and you have you use “list” type fields…

Chris