grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] RE: Source Not Available, JIRA 570

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] RE: Source Not Available, JIRA 570

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Shilen Patel <>, Emily Eisbruch <>, Tom Barton <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] RE: Source Not Available, JIRA 570
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 12:34:19 -0700 (PDT)

It seems like the getSubject methods ought to throw the error as well.
They encounter the same conditions.

Jim

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 20:00:59 -0700
From: Chris Hyzer
<>
To: Shilen Patel
<>
Cc: Emily Eisbruch
<>,
Tom Barton
<>,

""

<>

Ok, Im glad I had you take a look.  J

1.  There are locations in GrouperSourceAdapter.java and Group.java that seem
to be converting SourceUnavailableException to
SubjectNotFoundException for some reason.  The grouper db would probably have
to be down to run into this issue, but it still doesn't seem right.

Good catch, fixed.

2.  Regarding your comment about the init during startup, it seems like the
jdbc source doesn't actually create a connection during init so
Grouper may still start up if the source is unavailable.

Well, I think that is ok.  What it used to do is swallow (and log) the init
exception, and remove the source from the list of sources, so no
subjects there will ever be found (and no descriptive errors) until restart.
The fix is that if init throws an exception, let it throw (which
will presumably not let grouper start).  If not, keep it in the list of
sources so that if there is a search, that source will be used, and if it
throws an error, it will exception out.  Know what I mean?  J

Thanks,

chris

Thanks!

-- Shilen