grouper-dev - [grouper-dev] ldappc-ng and the Grouper Demo

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

[grouper-dev] ldappc-ng and the Grouper Demo

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: [grouper-dev] ldappc-ng and the Grouper Demo
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 14:29:16 -0600

Ages ago, we decided to embed a java-based ldap server in the
quickstart and include default and example configurations.

I think we/I should provide a new command line option to gsh
(-ldapdemo ?) which will start an embedded ApacheDS server configured
via a properties file, similar to HSQL. Provisioning will be no
different than provisioning any other target, i.e. gsh -ldappcng.
These commands could be added to the quickstart instructions.

I've spent some time looking at the latest ApacheDS (1.5.7, we run
1.5.5). I think I'll stay with 1.5.5 for now, and I'll modify the
existing EmbeddedApacheDS class so that it will support long-running
processes, rather than just junit tests.

Shouldn't take too long ;-)

> Decision -- best solution is to provide an embedded JAVA-based LDAP server
> as part of the Quickstart and ship it with default configuration for
> LDAPPC-ng as part of the demo.  User groups that are created on the demo
> will get provisioned to the Java based server.

> LDAPPC-ng and the Grouper Demo
>
> https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-dev/2010-12/msg00013.html
>
> TomZ raised the question of how  LDAPPC-ng should be depicted on the Grouper
> demo site. The provisioning capability needs to be hooked up to something to
> show off well in a demo. Issues include:
>
> Do we want users to have a web-based UI to review the results of the
> provisioning in LDAP or is a command line interface sufficient? Some may
> find a command line interface awkward.
> Do we want to enable query at random or do we just want to show what
> happened to LDAP as a result of the provisioning actions? In this case we
> could show just a log file.
> We could require a password to view the data if we use the web-based UI
> approach. Would need to consult with Internet2 TSG group. Provide temporary
> 30-day accounts?
> Could use a Java-based servier like ApacheDS.
> What about issues around keeping the Grouper demo, and its provisioning
> capabilities, up-to-date?
> A more long-term solution could involve bundling provisioning with
> Quickstart.
> Another approach is to move forward with a Grouper demo VM, as Rob has
> suggested. This VM would presumably include an LDAP directory.
>
> Decision -- best solution is to provide an embedded JAVA-based LDAP server
> as part of the Quickstart and ship it with default configuration for
> LDAPPC-ng as part of the demo.  User groups that are created on the demo
> will get provisioned to the Java based server.
>
> (TomZ) will report on timing for Grouper demo work

  • [grouper-dev] ldappc-ng and the Grouper Demo, Tom Zeller, 01/19/2011