grouper-dev - [grouper-dev] ldap on grouperdemo ?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

[grouper-dev] ldap on grouperdemo ?

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: [grouper-dev] ldap on grouperdemo ?
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 08:46:46 -0600

Chris reminded me yesterday that I had agreed to setup and provision
ldap on grouperdemo.internet2.edu.

Do we want the ldap service to be (1) publicly searchable (but not
writeable) or do we want to (2) require authentication or (3)
piggyback on an existing installation ?

I should also check with I2 sysadmins regarding service maintenance -
if we run a publicly accessible ldap server we will want to make sure
that it is patched appropriately. I'm not looking for
yet-another-service to maintain, so, an option might be to ask a
friendly institution to allow us to manage a branch of their existing
DIT. If we decide to require authentication and run our own ldap
service, the ldap accounts could be part of auth[NZ] to other
grouperdemo services. Requiring auth[NZ] might be safer and less total
work than running a publicly accessible service.

Thoughts ?

TomZ

  • [grouper-dev] ldap on grouperdemo ?, Tom Zeller, 12/09/2010