Subject: Grouper Developers Forum
- From: Chris Hyzer <>
- To: CoMaNaGe-DeV List <>, Ken Klingenstein <>
- Cc: "" <>
- Subject: [grouper-dev] sync'ing groups across groupers
- Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 15:03:57 -0500
- Accept-language: en-US
- Acceptlanguage: en-US
Per the comanage call today, you wanted a few bullet points about sync’ing groups across Groupers. This is development work that was recently completed for Grouper 2.0 (up and coming). FYI, one of the reasons we did this was since you mentioned it at Advance CAMP last summer J.
It is a little complicated to explain in a few bullets, but let me try:
- You can link up one group from one Grouper with a group in another Grouper. This uses Grouper Web Services.
- This can be push (cron), pull (cron), or incremental (means push cron and real time diffs)
- One Grouper needs WS credentials and privileges to read or update a group in another grouper.
- You need to configure how subject sources in one grouper “map” to subject sources in another grouper. i.e. in one grouper, you have an identifier attribute in the subject source (e.g. eppn, but could be anything), which maps to the subject API id or identifier in the other Grouper
- If the subject does not exist in the other Grouper, you can optionally configure “addSubjectIfNotExist”, so that a call is triggered to the Grouper External Subject interface to create that external subject. This is either built-in in the Grouper DB, or a customization to however external subjects are managed at the institution. Note that customization could be a notification for someone or something to process the new user.
- If there are other attributes required to use the service (e.g. email address), that needs to be self-managed by the user (e.g. in the case of Grouper External Subjects module), or however that is managed at the institution. If it is a pull type sync, then that attribute might be available via Grouper WS (depending on security).
If you need more info let me know J
Here is a link to Grouper external subjects (different though related topic), including some screenshots:
- [grouper-dev] sync'ing groups across groupers, Chris Hyzer, 01/21/2011
Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.