grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Fwd: ESCO-Grouper UI

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Fwd: ESCO-Grouper UI

  • From: Christian Daviau <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>
  • Cc: Emily Eisbruch <>, Grouper Dev <>, Thomas BIZOUERNE <>, ardem <>, , Godon Sophie <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Fwd: ESCO-Grouper UI
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 17:14:54 +0200

Hi Tom,

Tom Barton a écrit :
Christian,

A *very* nice UI! Naturally, I'm interested to know if it can be made available to other grouper users. Can it, do you think? And might there be a way for the community to be able to enhance it or extend it?
Yes it's possible.
We just are creating a public maven repository to be able to distribute ESCO-Grouper UI, and made it avalaible to the community.

A question about the dynamic groups: once a dynamic group is specified in the UI, where is that specification kept, what evaluates it, and when?
It's stored in specific tables in or out of the grouper database. We haven't translate the documentation, but you can find it, in french, at http://wiki.esco-portail.org/index.php/Grouper:DG_generalites .
The logical expression is stored in a grouper attribute (rule), associated to the custum type "dynamic".

In a nutshell here is how it works :

When the "rule" field associated to the dynamic group is created or modified :
- the definition (logical expression) is analysed, splited and stored in the specific tables;
- the ldap filter is generated from this definition ;
- an ldap request is executed to populate the group with initial members ;

In parallel, a process is listening for modifications incoming from the LDAP (works with OpenLdap). The process acts exactly like a LdapSync client. The role of the process is to detect LDAP attributes modifications in relation with the dynamic groups definitions (the monitored attributes list is fully configurable).

Have you thought about the UI design from the perspective of maybe extending it to eventually work with audit data, or with roles and permissions?
The UI is designed to be extended, but we can't really evaluate the needs of "role and permission" feature in the UI...

Best regards,
Christian.

Emily Eisbruch wrote:
Hi Christian,

Thank you for this excellent information on the ESCO-Grouper UI and how it uses Fluid elements. I am forwarding it on to the Grouper Developers List.

- Emily

Begin forwarded message: