Skip to Content.
Sympa Menu

grouper-dev - Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 17-Feb-2010

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

List archive

Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 17-Feb-2010

Chronological Thread 
  • From: Emily Eisbruch <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 17-Feb-2010
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 07:36:51 -0500

Grouper Call 17-Feb-2010


Tom Barton, U. Chicago  (Chair)  
Gary Brown, Bristol    
Michael P. Pelikan, The Pennsylvania State University  
Shilen Patel, Duke    
Chris Hyzer, U. Penn  
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis 
Ann West, Internet2 
Steve Olshansky, Internet2 
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)  


*New Action Items*

[AI] (Chris) will move forward with virtual subject attributes using _expression_ language.

[AI] (TomB) will send a note to the Grouper-users list summarizing planned enhancements for lite UI and asking for feedback.

*Carry Over Action Items*
[AI] (TomB) will investigate starting work on uPortal / Grouper integration     



*Virtual Subject Attributes* 

Univ. of Geneva requested expressed interest in virtual subject attributes:  

The idea is to allow concatenation of several subject attributes to create a clearer display object in the user interface. So, for example, the subject might say “JoeSmithCentralIT” rather than “Joe Smith”.

Chris suggested this could be implemented for Grouper 1.6 using Java _expression_ Language (JEXL).

TomZ raised the possible longer-term solution of using Shib resolver.  This might be discussed further at SMM. 
There was a suggestion to allow the use of HTML. It probably makes most sense to let the deployer add this functionality if needed.

The smaller, incremental change using an _expression_ language will be made for now.

[AI] (Chris) will move forward with virtual subject attributes using _expression_ language.

*Lite UI Enhancements*

TomB has received feedback from folks at U. Chicago that the Grouper 1.5 Lite UI is good, but missing a few features they would like.

- the deletion mode should be made configurable
- For adding subjects, a cvs file is currently required; the ability to do a simple paste is desired. 

- Better “skinability” is needed, to make the Grouper UI look like the application with which it’s being used.

In response to the "skinability" request, Chris suggested a default be used for the text in the UI, with the ability provided to use to override that default on an institutional basis or to control appearance group by group. TomB noted that if is used for customization, it could be difficult to delegate in the case of decentralized institutions. Chris proposed allowing formatting flexibility via (for centralized institutions) and using some other mechanism (such as CSS) to allow for  distributed control.

Other suggestions for enhancing the Lite UI:

- Adding more features to the advanced menu.   For example, show indirect memberships in the UI (currently it’s necessary to do an export to view indirect memberships). U. Wisconsin is interested in this enhancement.

[AI] (TomB) will send a note to the Grouper-users list summarizing planned enhancements for lite UI and asking for feedback.

*Ldappc-ng Discusssion*

Q: How is the Provisioning Service Provider going to be picking up changes from  the notification queue or change log?

A: TomZ: That’s a challenge, since Shib is event driven. The resolver is not written to handle a subset of info from sources. Not sure how it will handle a subset.

There are challenges around getting data out of Grouper and into SMPL. What triggers should be used?  For Grouper 1.6, bulk sync could be used. Using a group filter expressed in XML, there is the ability to choose how to handle different groups, members, and stems.

It is hoped that SPML can be strengthened through use in open source projects, just as SAML was strengthened through use by Shibboleth. A disadvantage to SPML concerns the jar.


*Spring Member Meeting*

The Grouper Working Group at Spring Member Meeting will be Monday, April 26 from 10:30 to noon.  Because of  a shortage of middleware track session slots (7) versus the number of middleware sessions proposed (20), there will not be a track session from the Grouper developers. However, a proposed track session will be agendized and made part of the WG session.

A track session that will discuss Grouper use in a VO is "Identity Management for the LIGO Project"

Next Meeting: Wed., Mar 3 , 2010 noon ET

Emily Eisbruch, Technology Transfer Analyst
office: +1-734-352-4996 | mobile +1-734-730-5749

Internet2 Spring Member Meeting
April 26-28, 2010 - Arlington, Virginia

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.

Top of Page