grouper-dev - ldappc-ng comparing provisioned identifiers ?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

ldappc-ng comparing provisioned identifiers ?

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: ldappc-ng comparing provisioned identifiers ?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:54:56 -0600

I'm looking for feedback regarding two styles of comparing provisioned
identifiers, what I'll call "exact-match" and "pluggable".

By exact-match I mean comparing identifiers as case-sensitive strings,
e.g. idA.equals(idB).

By pluggable I mean that identifiers might be massaged before
comparison, for example, making them case-insensitive
idA.toLowerCase.equals(idB.toLowerCase()).

For ldap DNs, a pluggable comparison might involve case-insensitivity,
escaping, and normalizing whitespace.

If ldappc-ng compares ldap DNs as exact-matches, then the (software)
connector to an ldap server would need to always normalize DNs upon
receiving requests and sending responses.

If ldappc-ng compares ldap DNs pluggably, then the (software)
connector to an ldap server could return whatever DN it receives from
the ldap server, and it would be up to ldappc-ng to normalize.

I'm leaning towards exact-match, which leaves the details of
identifier normalization to the connector. In other words, the
connector code contains all of the target specific details.

Feedback ? Does this make sense ?

Thanks,
TomZ