Skip to Content.
Sympa Menu

grouper-dev - Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 13-May-09

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

List archive

Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 13-May-09

Chronological Thread 
  • From: Emily Eisbruch <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 13-May-09
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 11:30:26 -0400

Grouper Call 13-May-09**


Gary Brown, Bristol (stand-in chair)
Bob Morgan, U. Washington 
Shilen Patel, Duke 
Chris Hyzer, U. Penn 
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis 
Steve Olshansky, Internet2    
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe) 

*New Action Items*

[AI ] (TomB) will inform the group whether he considers June 1st to be a reasonable target date for Grouper v 1.4.2 release.

[AI] (RL Bob) will email the Grouper lists to ask if people are interested in a configurable namespace approach.

[AI]  (Chris) will provide an estimate of the time needed to implement a configurable namespace approach.

*Carry Over Action Items*

[AI] (TomB) will start a wiki page on attribute framework for Grouper, including information on handling of custom versus non-custom fields/attributes.

[AI]  (TomZ) will update the ldappc wiki page with new ideas expressed on the 15-April-09 call.


*Release of Grouper 1.4.2*

Chris does not have much left to do for the 1.4.2 release.
TomZ is working on bug fixes for ldappc items. Decision: ask TomB if release date of June 1 will work for him.

[AI ] (TomB) will inform the group whether he considers June 1 to be a reasonable target date for Grouper v 1.4.2 release.

*Release of Grouper 1.5*

Target release date for Grouper 1.5 has been May.  Suggestion: postpone Grouper 1.5 release until July.  

*Notifications/ Change Log*

Chris reported that notifications will be handled somewhat like a change log. There will be one entry per event, not one entry per consumer. 

A flexible capability will be provided to help sites consume notifications, though sites could use their own methods.  An API will be available for doing queries on notifications (optionally exposed with web services).

For propagating notifications, a simple table could hold the timestamp of the last notification consumed.  

Shilen raised issues about timestamps --  potential problems if it takes time to process and the commit is done few minutes after the processing started. Using a time stamp, changes could be missed, and things could get out of synch.

Chris will look into these issues -- there is the possibility to use a sequence number to query by. 

*Ldappc Update*  

TomZ is waiting for Chris to complete work on the just-in-time provisioning API before starting to work on its impact on ldappc and doing the ldappc rewrite. 

TomZ has been focusing on fixing bugs in the current ldappc version, including writing tests to evaluate end-to-end performance.  This effort will improve ldappc or whatever comes after it, while helping users concerned about performance, such as: 


*Review of Face to Face Grouper Session at I2 SMM*

Chris provided a brief overview of the Grouper session at Internet2  Spring Member Meeting.

In the evening, Shilen, Chris, and TomB met and discussed Grouper issues such as notifications and changing membership structure.  Shilen will work on changing the membership structure and taking effective memberships out of the membership table.

There was some discussion at the SMM of lightweight interfaces for Grouper. There is interest in an interface allowing a user to just manage members for a group but not have to worry about all the rest.  Some risk that if we develop such an interface, there will be demand for it to include more and more features that the “real one” has.   Nevertheless, a Grouper light UI is being requested. 

RL Bob stated that if and when U. Washington gets to point of adopting Grouper, they hope to make their light UI available for the  average user who wants to go in and do a couple of groups.

Gary noted that Loris Bennet of Free University of Berlin is exploring the approach of tweaking the existing Grouper UI as part of customization. 

*Ability to delete a composite factor*

Issue:  deleting a group which is a composite factor throws an error.

Suggested solution is to allow the group to be deleted, but for composites, replace with an internal empty group. 

Gary suggested that the behavior  for deleting a group with a composite factor should be configurable, so there will be an option to disable it. 

Chris noted that typically at Penn when complements are used, the restricted list is right next to overall group.  Then if someone deletes parent stems, both would be deleted.

Gary stated that he would initially NOT enable such an option in his Grouper deployment.  Shilen would not enable this option unless someone asks for it.  TomZ stated they do not use this kind of setup.

Conclusion was not to work on this issue, just keep it on the JIRA list. 

*Removing Dashes from UUIDs*

Jim Fox from University of Washington suggested removing the dashes from the UUIDs.

Chris will handle this issue.

*Configurable Namespace*

Jim Fox suggested converting the colons in group names to underscores. Colons are a problem for interfacing with Active Directory.

Chris noted that colons have been an assumption of a lot of the code. It would be necessary to go through the code to see where that is and make it configurable. 

[AI] (RL Bob) will email the Grouper lists to ask if people are interested in a configurable namespace approach.

[AI]  (Chris) will provide an estimate of the time needed to implement a configurable namespace approach.

Next Call: Wed. 27-May- 09, Noon ET 

Emily Eisbruch, Technology Transfer Analyst
office: +1734-352-4996 | mobile +1-734-730-5749

ESCC/Internet2 Joint Techs
July 19-23, 2009 - Indianapolis, Indiana

  • Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 13-May-09, Emily Eisbruch, 05/19/2009

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.

Top of Page