grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] f2f @ I2

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] f2f @ I2

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: , Tom Barton <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] f2f @ I2
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 08:53:07 +0000

Hi Loris,

The forms for custom types are pretty basic. I did consider something more sophisticated but it quickly got very complicated e.g. selecting from a restricted set of values - which may depend on other attributes, or applying validation (now possible through hooks). With the advent of web services, it becomes more complicated because someone building an alternative UI based on web services may want to 'share' the same configuration and that tends to place the functionality in the API rather than the UI.

That said, there are a couple of ways in which you can customise the edit screen using dynamic tiles - see DefaultTemplateResolverImpl Javadoc

By default the edit panels for each group type are configured in media.properties using:
groupType.view.editGroupAttributes=/WEB-

INF/jsp/groupTypeEditAttributesView.jsp

you can add group type specific templates e.g.
groupType.<your type name>.view.editGroupAttributes=/WEB-
INF/jsp/custom/<your template>.jsp

This approach would give you the most flexibility for arranging elements, adding instructions etc, though to use the existing action you'd need to name form elements appropriately.

It is also possible to customise at the field level:

default config is:
field.attribute.view.editValue=/WEB-INF/jsp/fieldATTRIBUTEEditValueView.jsp

you can add:
field.<field name>.view.editValue=/WEB-
INF/jsp/custom/<your template>.jsp

Let me know if you would like any help using one of these approaches.

There has been talk of allowing multi-valued group attributes and allowing the same field in multiple group types. Those changes would require modifications to the UI and we could review how the UI works then, however, a full-featured form builder is probably out of scope - unless there is sufficient demand.

Gary