grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] move built in group attributes to the groups table

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] move built in group attributes to the groups table

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>,
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] move built in group attributes to the groups table
  • Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 17:37:09 +0000

I've worked around it for now. I'll take a look at making it backwards compatible, though, for the time being I'll leave the config alone - we can always add it if someone needs it but I would guess that few if any changed the defaults in the database.

Gary

--On 04 March 2009 12:05 -0500 Chris Hyzer

Another issue:

The internal privilege model for what Access privilege is needed by a
subject to read/write any particular attribute/field is modeled in
grouper_fields e.g.

IS_NULLABLE NAME READ_PRIVILEGE TYPE WRITE_PRIVILEGE
------------------------------------ ----------------------------------
--
true description read attribute admin

false displayExtension view attribute admin

false extension view attribute admin

These are no longer in grouper_fields.

The UI makes a call:
group.canWriteField(FieldFinder.find("extension"))
which now fails.

Gary

Yes, sorry about that, these are now part of the group, so they are not
fields, and thus don't have those entries anymore. Can we assume that
id, name, displayName, description can be viewed with view, and updated
with admin (i.e. not configurable)? If we need something other than
that, can we specify it in the grouper.properties, and canWriteField()
can use those for the builtin fields? How configurable do we need? Each
field can be specified, or one setting for all fields? Is description a
private field except for readers?

Let me know if you want me to implement this stuff...

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing